Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Words to Live By

“Why wouldn’t he be thankful? He has everything he wants.”
“But surely you’ve noticed that it hardly ever works that way. Those who have the most are nearly always the least grateful for what they have. Godwulf there, he spends his entire day giving thanks to God and sharing what he has with everyone who passes by. The local farmers and villagers are beginning to come to him for spiritual advice. … He says, ‘Enjoy your food, enjoy your work, give thanks to God.’ Then he usually hands them a pint of ale.” –The Lioness and Her Knight

Phil, reading through King Arthur tales
A few days after I read them to the boys, called to me:
“This is such a great section! Listen!”

I had copied down that same section days earlier,
But some pieces of writing are so true and good,
They can stand to be repeated.

Enjoy your food,
Enjoy your work,
Give thanks to God.

And drink this pint of ale.

I haven’t yet heard that preached
In a sermon. But I wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment