Monday, June 9, 2014

The Cello

My mother heard too many
Beginning violinists to have any desire for
Budding string players in her house.

(One friend reported on her daughter’s recital:
“The first one began and my husband leaned over
And said, ‘It’s going to be a long night.’ And, you know,
Every piece sounded exactly the same.”)

The violin, shrill and speedy soprano,
Was never my string of choice.

But the cello … that seems worth getting to know.

Sensuous, voluminous, voluptuous … mellow:
What’s not to love?

Famous cellist Yo-Yo Ma, when asked how many
Concerts he nailed this year, responded,
“Two or three.” Shocked, the interviewer asked
How he could keep performing, with such an
Abysmal record. “Because the ones I didn’t nail this year
Were better than the ones I did nail last year.”

Perpetual room for growth, yet satisfaction in the journey.
I could get used to that.

And with the first note I drew out with my friend’s bow,
That sounded much more rich than I could have hoped
For a first try … perhaps it’s time for the cello and me
To get acquainted.

Prepare for Amy’s alter-ego: Yo Ma-Ma.

No comments:

Post a Comment