Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Multitudes

To see a multitude, you need a venue.
Maybe an arena or a stadium,
A concert hall, a graduation,
An airport at Christmas.

Have you ever looked over a multitude,
Maybe a bit sweaty and sticky from
Sun and spilled soda,
Or uncomfortable in formal wear,
Or tired and ready to be home?

I don’t look with compassion on my fellow
Sojourners. I see them as impediments
To reaching a seat or a bathroom stall or
My luggage. And besides, so few of them
Look happy, so few attractive.

Jesus saw the multitudes and had compassion.
They fainted, were scattered abroad,
As sheep having no shepherd.
They were vulnerable, isolated, without protection.

And I’m judging them for unhappiness and
Basic unattractiveness?
Why would I expect anything else?

Jesus had the answer, too. The harvest is plentiful,
But the workers are few. Ask for more workers.

Lord, send more workers to the harvest.
Lord, send me.

1 comment: