Saturday, June 28, 2014

Mobius Strip

My dad’s uncle lived in a home overlooking L.A.
At night we would see the gold lights in the valley.
My mother always exclaimed about the view.

Dad’s cousin was in a motorcycle accident
That left him brain-damaged.
Every year, we would go to his birthday party.
Great view, great food … and awkwardness.
“Blonde girl, do you have a boyfriend?”
I am ten. No. But thank you for that creepy question.
Please go away.

One year, though, something magical.
A stranger cut a piece of paper into a strip,
Made a single twist, and taped the ends.

When he cut it down the middle,
The loop doubled in size and added a twist.

He made another loop with a twist.
When he cut at the third,
Two interlocking loops appeared,
One with a single twist, and one with a double.

I showed my sons this Mobius strip today.
Will they remember the magic in thirty years?
I can only hope.

And as the memory of those awkward parties
Is redeemed into something creative,
It gives me hope for other awkwardness.
Good may come, unforeseen.
6/27/14

No comments:

Post a Comment