Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Flute

After a year or two of low-key lessons
In middle school, I picked up the flute again
Two years before college. It came back quickly.

My Mom would play hymns on the piano and sing,
And I would play the flute.
Sometimes I would play in church.

But mostly I played in marching band
Or concert band, even All-State Band.
I liked the group experience.

Independent flute playing was the means to an end:
Finger perfection, the challenge. Not music.
I don’t much like flute music recordings.

But my sister tells me now that she would fall asleep
To the sound of my flute and think,
“How beautiful. My sister is so amazing.”

Couldn’t we all use a little adulation?
Maybe I should take it up again!
Do you think my five sons would be glad?

No comments:

Post a Comment