Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Nightmaring

When I wake up and think,
“I wish I were dead,”
It’s a good indication I’ve been
Nightmaring.

It doesn’t take much for me to wake
Worse off than I went to sleep.

Today, it was simply a travel dream,
A variation on my standard theme.
I was driving to get the boys
So we could catch a plane,
But it was rush hour and big trucks
Cut me off. The time kept ticking.

And then the spitting cobra temporarily
Blinded me in the right eye.
The venom in the tear duct was the worst.

That, and the marching band we passed
Was abysmal.

Hearing cacophony, inability to see clearly,
Desperate to move forward, but hindered,
Missing my sons and missing our flight,
Not enough time to get everything done;
From these, and more, O Lord, deliver me.

No comments:

Post a Comment