Friday, June 20, 2014

Love Is a Verb

A man taught in an inner city middle school.
He found himself struggling with
Insignificance.
He wanted out.
Not to mention, he hated the students.
He had wanted to change the world.

I took in a relative’s daughter.
I wanted out.
It would be fair to say that there were times
I hated her.
And I had wanted to change the world.

The man learned to rely on God,
His guidance and strength.
He learned to love God and man.
He found significance.

I didn’t learn any of that in my seven months
Of caretaking. It would be fair to say
I still have questions.

But if love is not (only) a feeling, but an action,
I can say that that daughter was treated
As one of our own: fed, trained, taught, safe.

May God redeem my failure.
May my sons walk with God, and
That daughter walk with God.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment