Sunday, June 15, 2014

Extracurriculars

When my sister swam, she loved the feel of the
Water, running over her face, the sounds of
Splashing and cheering, the coordinated breathing.

When I swam, I liked working hard until I was exhausted.

When I played tennis, I liked the puzzle of ball placement,
The physical challenge of serving and returning,
The companionship of a partner and the gentility of the game.

When my sister ran, she liked
Stopping.

When I ran, I liked working hard until I was exhausted.
I liked the camaraderie of cross country
And the mindless repetition of four times,
Eight times around the track.

I don’t think I considered the pleasure of the feel and sound
Of court, track, field, pool.

That was what marching band and concert band were for!

No comments:

Post a Comment