Thursday, June 19, 2014

Old Stomping Grounds

I haven’t been back to Boulder in some years.
I was surprised to find myself teary as we drove in.
There were the Flatirons, standing sentinel
Over the valley, the great red rocks
I admired daily for eleven years.

We turned up our road, so suburban and normal
It made me catch my breath.
How did I get from that slight slope,
Paved and landscaped, to our driveway,
About the same length, graveled and wild.

And our house: in that average house,
Saints visited, couples met, babies walked and talked,
Two sons breathed their first breath,
God answered prayer. In suburbia,
God and man at table are sat down.

Breathtaking.

Oh, Boulder, we came for a purpose
And we left for a reason. And though I prefer
Life now, I loved life then, too.
Celebrate God’s work in his people,
In that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment