Sunday, June 8, 2014

Chatterbox

1.
In middle school, I went on a youth retreat.
Filled with high good spirits (and hoping
To impress a boy), I chattered about silly things.

The Christian guide in our white water raft
Asked midway through, “Do you know what
Proverbs says about those who speak a lot?”

I know my Scripture. “They’re fools.”
“Just so.” Said with just a hint of a sniff.

Thinking back on my fourteen year old self,
I can both affirm with that dour dude that
My speech was sadly foolish that day,

But also wonder if maybe there’s a place before God
For silly teens trying to impress a boy, too.
Maybe we needn’t always take everything

So seriously.

2.
No part of me wants to be a fool.
I no longer have such talkative days.
(That might be called maturity.)

And I have had times since, in keeping with
The Proverb, where words are many and
Sin is not absent.

And yet, for all that, I have also
Spent hours of beautiful fellowship
In conversation.

I can ask forgiveness for speech
Badly done. But there is no remedy
For relationship unbuilt due to

Silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment