Sunday, June 1, 2014

Home Burial

We buried Gracie Lou
On a beautiful day.
Perfect weather.
Both families present
Entirely.

Walking down the slope to the grave
I exclaimed, “It’s so beautiful!”
Because it was: the colorful clothes
Juxtaposed with blue sky and green growth.

My Mom shot me a stricken look then,
But I wasn’t trying to be frivolous.
It was just achingly beautiful.

It was beautiful that the photographer showed
When he did, guided not by my faulty directions
But by a random man he stopped on the side of the road
Who didn’t direct him correctly, either,
But God did, and he arrived just in time.

I look at his photos and am struck with
How beautiful. Grief ravaged our faces:
Dad’s stern look, my isolation, Natalia’s exhaustion.
Tears on my sister’s face.

But also roses, also embrace, also color
And Scripture, and real handkerchiefs.
It was a beautiful service.
I think more people would have photographers
At funerals if they knew how beautiful
The photos would be.

And when we ate our formal dinner,
On a patio of bricks surrounded by flower gardens,
The woman of the house said later,
“This place was suffused with a special light.”

And so the day ended with beauty,
And family, and food, and laughter.

We grieve, but not as others who have no hope.
Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment