Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fourteen Years Ago Today

Friends and family had been arriving
For a few days. We headed to the church
And rehearsed, with jubilation,
The ceremony of the next day.

I wore a new (to me) brown dress and my Birkenstocks,
And Phil and I held hands and raced down the aisle
At the end. We don’t hold hands often,
But there’s a photo to prove it, somewhere.

We went to a lovely restaurant, now defunct,
For paella and laughter.
My high school best friend and Phil’s high school best friend
Hit it off well. They are married now,
To other people. I think they are both happy.

Phil then hosted a barbecue at his house.
I remember walking in to the backyard that
Would be my backyard the next day,
Seeing the whole collection of his friends from college,

And crumpling. Did I actually cry? I think maybe.
In any case, I left to spend the night
At a friend’s house, with my maid of honor.

I slept well, and woke naturally at 6am,
Peaceful and ready for the day.

Then came the call that the pianist was at the hospital,
In labor.

Welcome to the rest of your life.
It might not always be peaceful,
But it will not lack for interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment