Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Marriage As Struggle

In Christian circles, it is common to speak
Of marriage as a struggle.
“Hardest thing I’ve ever done,” we’ve heard
Repeatedly.

I realize that my scale of hard may be different
Than most (52 months, 6 people, 228 square feet),
But we have never found marriage
So burdensome.

Of course there was an adjustment.
Besides the nascent wheat allergy that triggered
Psychosis, we dealt with things like
Phil’s preference for hugging the dog
Instead of me when he fell asleep.

And yet, for all the books on “Marriage is to make you holy,”
For us, marriage also makes us happy.
And if I think of the biblical description
Of marriage between Christ and the Church,
I think that union is not dreary endurance,
But joyful consummation.

No comments:

Post a Comment