Sunday, June 8, 2014

Pentecost Party

1.
Fifty days after Jesus’ resurrection,
The Holy Spirit fell on the believers.
We celebrated that, with music and friends.

I am thankful I dwell among people who
Willingly drove an hour here to share
How the Comforter has been at work in their lives.

I am humbled and grateful for the gifts
The Spirit gives: teaching, prophecy,
Hospitality, faith.

I am thankful to use my gifts.


2.
We roasted marshmallows for s’mores over the fire,
A hat tip to the Spirit indwelling with
What looked like tongues of fire.

I haven’t had a s’more in the twelve years
I’ve been wheat free. Not one of the boys
Had tried one, until tonight.

And there again was that flavor, the sweet richness,
A biannual treat growing up as we camped
During summer and Thanksgiving.

Our last few years have felt enough like roughing it
That I have no desire to set up a tent for the “camping experience.”
How delightful that the boys can taste s’mores even still.

No comments:

Post a Comment