Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Gentle

My friend Ashley always had an enormous smile.
She joyfully exuded the love of Christ.
I don’t think she had many friends at that high school,
And I transferred and we lost touch.

More than a decade later, she unexpectedly came to mind.
Whenever that happens, I try to remember to pray.
I did so then, a generic “God be with her” request,
As I knew nothing more specific.

The next week, her megachurch pastor father
Outed himself for going to male prostitutes.
His wife, and, presumably, daughters,
Had found out the week before.

In the midst of such devastation, I was struck by
How very gentle Jesus was with my friend.
She had prayer coverage she knew nothing about.
We know not what we should pray for as we ought.

But the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us
With groanings which cannot be uttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment