Friday, June 13, 2014

Not My Definition of Rest

After Jesus’ disciples had preached, healed, and delivered,
They returned to Jesus to report.
Such was their fame, they had no time to eat.
“Come apart and rest a while,” Jesus said.

But as they sailed across the lake,
Multitudes ran around and met them. On the far side,
The disciples faced the same needs that they had before.
And, I suspect, they still hadn’t eaten.

Jesus had compassion. He taught the people.
Then he had the disciples help feed them.
I had always assumed Jesus was surprised by the crowds,
And that the exhausted disciples resented the intrusion.

But I wonder now: maybe Jesus was entirely precise.
“Come apart and rest a while.”
For Jesus, was serving also resting?
Maybe I need his perspective on work and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment