Wednesday, July 1, 2015

This Might Explain Some Things

Joe sleeps on a mat by our bed.
He falls asleep in minutes,
Once he settles in,
But if he sleeps in his room on his own mattress,
It takes him hours to settle in.

I am not sure if
Adjusting to a mattress has been hard,
Or if trying to sleep apart from us has been hard.

In either case, he stays nearby.

Tonight I was emailing, working,
Doing my normal computer thing after his bedtime,
And he was chatting away about Duplo creations,
And none of it really made much sense to me.

But for some reason I stopped and
Really looked at him.

“Do you think I’m listening to you?”
“Not really. But I don’t think Daddy usually does, either.”

Oh, my heart.

Let me resolve to set aside my work and petty tasks,
And look into the eyes of my son
And cherish these days
Where he still wants to tell me
About his Duplo creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment