Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Arbitrary Parenting

So much of parenting seems arbitrary.
Decisions that could go one way one day,

Suddenly switch the next day.
One son wants to make something in the kitchen almost daily.

So many requests to make cookies or brownies.
I have read full books on the danger of sugar. I often say no.

Today I remembered, though, that my parents gave me free run
Of the kitchen. I loved it, trying new recipes, eating the results.

Once I went to my mother to tell her that
We would be out of cloves. “The recipe called for a half cup.”

I hadn’t thought before that recipes can be wrong.
(I had measured the spice, but not added it. It seemed excessive.)

If my son wants to create in the kitchen,
I think it’s time to let him.

We have enough guests—
We’ll have people to share our sugar high.

2 comments:

  1. Is the IT word "granular permissions?" - not arbitrary, just complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Nice! "Granular permissions are used to grant system privileges, allowing you to construct site-specific roles with privileges to match your requirements." Never heard of that, but that is a beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete