Saturday, July 11, 2015

Grocery Shopping

I walk across the parking lot
And admire the shiny Passat,
The midsize Mercedes.
This is the store I have come to.

And then turns in a beater car,
Windows open (presumably: no air conditioning).
This, too, is my store.

How strange that I should feel
Euphoric,
Overflowing with love.

Inside: local zucchinis, cherries on sale,
Different kinds of peaches,
A few more strawberries at the end of the season.

I try to walk around without grinning.
Impossible.
Too beautiful, too much to see and enjoy.

There are beautiful people with perfectly coiffed hair,
And, yes, a morbidly obese woman.
She, too, belongs with us.

The dapper businessman
And the woman in a wheelchair who smiles at my son …

My community of Friday evening shoppers.
Welcome.
Enter in.

No comments:

Post a Comment