Friday, October 17, 2014

Destroy

We are going to destroy this place.

Abraham bargained for Sodom.
Six times he asked the Eternal One
To commute the sentence
For the sake of 50, 45, 40, 30, 20, 10.

I have heard that this was a failure
On Abraham’s part: that he should have
Pushed for the perfect seventh question.
I suspect there were not even five righteous,
And I’m not sure the wicked city’s sentence
Should have been lifted for the sake
Of one, righteous Lot. Who was saved anyway.

I have heard that Abraham could have hoped
That ten would have been possible:
That between Lot, his wife, two unmarried daughters,
A son-in-law and married daughter, and at least two sons,
That one family could have been enough
To preserve the city.
But it was not.

But I rather like the thought that,
With all the interactions between
Man and God, God’s purpose went forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment