Friday, October 10, 2014

Comfort Food

I liked spaghetti. Pizza. Meat-potato quiche.
For my birthday, I would get all three,
The day before, the day of, the day after.

Chicken pot pie was one of my favorites.
It was more work than most meals,
So we had it rarely, but always with enthusiasm.

And I could eat cinnamon toast every day.

It confounds me that I have
A son who dislikes spaghetti.
One who eats pizza only if it’s cold. And only one piece.
A husband who dislikes meat-potato quiche.
And, today, when I served the special pot pie,
A son who disliked it and another who ate only half.

How can anyone dislike meat and potatoes
In a butter pie crust?

And some sons don’t like cinnamon toast!

Shall I mention that half won’t eat my homemade
Macaroni and cheese?

I wonder: when they are grown,
What will be their comfort food?

Grass-fed burgers with organic ketchup?
Fresh milled spelt bread with Irish butter?

Realistically: chocolate chip cookies, fresh baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment