Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Haggai

It’s been some time since I read the Bible
And fell silent and astonished at its power.

I.
The two chapters of Haggai,
A message from God to the remnant that returned from Babylon.

They looked for much, and found little, and the little they had
Spoiled
Because God blew on it.

It’s a harsh picture.

I appreciate that he was doing it for a purpose,
That his Temple would be rebuilt, that his name would be
Glorified.

After he offers this uncalled for explanation, he tells the people:
“I am with you, saith the LORD.”

Powerful.

Having been five years looking for much and finding little,
I hope this Old Testament book is not applicable to me.
There is no Temple to rebuild.

II.
For those who saw the Temple before it was destroyed,
They felt the ruins were as nothing.
Understandable.

“I am with you, saith the LORD of hosts.
The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former,
And in this place will I give peace.”

Beautiful.

But then the meditation:
Holy meat does not make the things it touches holy;
An unclean body makes the things it touches unclean.
The unclean trumps the clean.
And all is now unclean.

“Consider from this day and upward:
From this day will I bless you.”

Patience for the work.
Patience for the seeds, the trees, to bear.

Wait for the desire of all nations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment