Thursday, September 18, 2014

Competent

I.
Mechanical gizmos aren’t my thing.
When one apple peeler broke today,
I found a second one in storage.
Isaiah peeled apples. Dissatisfied with the sharpness
Of the blade, he substituted one for the other
And then micro-adjusted until peel without flesh
Came away. This would have frustrated me
Beyond measure.

For him, it was a minor inconvenience, and maybe even
Fun.

II.
Animal husbandry apparently isn’t my thing either.
Phil was away for the day. This afternoon,
Jadon asked me if we needed to do something for the cows.
They had never crossed my mind, though they should have.
He opened the next paddock, moved the water trough,
Adjusted the hose, and read patiently while the tank
Slowly filled.

It’s a good thing I have such competent help.

No comments:

Post a Comment