Friday, December 12, 2014

Half a Year

After taking some good-natured ribbing
About half-birthday celebrations,
The question came up:
Do you actually celebrate the half?

January 30 is my birthday.
I have always just jumped six months ahead,
Counting July 30 as my half birthday.

But mathematically, the half doesn’t come
Until August.

This is not quite an existential crisis.

But it did keep me up late one night,
Thinking about the people born
August 30 and 31 (and, three out of four years, 29):
They have no half birthdays
As I celebrate them,
And are forced to count by number of days.

Really, though, to celebrate
Half of 365.25
In any way is a bit silly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, we celebrate half birthdays, but we keep it simple and just jump ahead 6 months :) 12 months is just too long of a time to wait to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete