Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Amy

I.
I hope it does not make you dislike your name
If I point out how much I appreciate
The beautiful shape of “Amy” on the printed page.
A letter at an angle above the line,
A letter, both straight and curved, in the middle,
And a letter at an angle below the line.
Compact and perfect.
(I’m sure your name is nice, too.)

II.
And I hope it does not disappoint you
If I mention more to appreciate.

Only three letters, but two syllables.

Twice as many vowels as consonants.

Composed of the first letter of the alphabet,
A letter in the precise middle,
And final letter the second to the last.
Beginning, middle, end.

It is not elegant or unusual,
But cheery, energetic.
More freckles than lace,
More fun than mellifluous.
I think it suits me.

And “Amy” means “beloved” and that is very nice.
(But really: I’m sure your name is nice, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment