Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Fig Tree

But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.

For months, I had been tempted to purchase a fig tree.
I would walk past them at the grocery,
Check on them online.
I resisted the temptation, barely.

We had sheep then, and the sheep had to go.
The final one loaded, the buyer pulled out a fig tree
With one small fig, a promise of more to come.

“God told me to get you a fig tree.
They weren’t easy to find this time of year,
But I finally found a place that still had one.”

How to tell him that that had deep meaning for me?
How to say to this stranger strongly enough,
Thank you for hearing and obeying the voice of God,
To bring me this gift, this message.

It astounds me even now that a fig tree can speak,
That a man can be the voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment