Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Best Party

We threw a party. We invited friends.
It had all the makings of a great time:

I was so tired all I wanted was a nap.
I never get headaches and I had a headache.
I almost burst into tears while mopping the floor.
Phil hadn’t realized the length of the guest list
And was totally overwhelmed when I told him.
The boys fought all day long.

We have this treasure in jars of clay
To show that this all-surpassing power
Is from God and not from us.

Our party was from God and not from us.

Children played in the creek and
Went crawdad hunting.
They swung poi balls
And set off smoke bombs and waved sparklers.

Friends brought food.
Friends brought instruments.
We sang for a couple of hours.
Then we talked and snacked hours more.
We enjoyed wine and kombucha and beer and bread.
A few pyromaniacs roasted marshmallows for s’mores.
The introverts sat in dim lighting and discussed doctrine.
Three women left with beautifully done nails.

Everywhere I looked was peace and joy and fellowship.
This was from God and not from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment