Thursday, July 10, 2014

Flowers

I spent a month once, asking God
Each morning what he would have me do.
The first week, maybe first day,
I was compelled to bring flowers to a friend.
Well, she was barely a friend, one of those
People a bit more than an acquaintance,
But not an intimate in any way.

It was Sunday, March. After church I left my
Spouse and son and drove to Costco,
Bought a bouquet. My call on the way
Went unanswered, as did my ring
On the doorbell. So I left the bunch
Inside the screen, hopeful that no one
Would take it, that it would not be crushed,
And drove away.

I got a call later. “Was this lovely surprise
From you?” I’m sure I said it was.
Looking back, the answer should have been,
“Hardly.” And I heard

The backstory: Valentine’s Day had been
Dark. “God, there is no one to bring me flowers.”

And now I had a friend indeed.

Why have I not asked God every day since then
What he would have me do?

No comments:

Post a Comment