Friday, July 4, 2014

Farming?

I.
I feel entirely unsuited by education,
Physicality, personality, and passion
To farm life.

I studied literature, art, and music.

I don’t like being hot or cold.
I like exercising on my own time,
In ways I can measure improvement.

I don’t much like animals.

I like reading and writing. I like God.
I like my husband and sons. I like my friends.
I like tracking time and finishing projects.
I like learning and cooking and baking
And entertaining and laughing and music.

Not one of those scream “farming” to me.

II.
Phil is well-suited to farming.
With a master’s in construction management,
And a few decades of engineering experience,
He prefers the rigor of outdoor life to
Sitting in front of a computer.

Physically, he can lift astonishingly heavy things.
“I don’t know that I’m superman, but I’m often
Surprised at how little other people can do.”

And his problem-solving skills never cease to amaze me.
If a solution doesn’t offer itself immediately, I give up.
Phil keeps thinking until he figures it out.
As he does every time, without fail. It’s uncanny.

He has the patience to deal with escaped cows.
The tenacity to carry on with a project despite set-backs.
The curiosity to research how to do things.
The big-picture mindset to see how the parts fit together.

III.
I suppose the trick is to see how
We both can use our gifts and passions
When they are so widely divergent,
In a life that is unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment