Friday, January 30, 2015

Sounis

All my life they had made choices for me, and I had resented it. Now the choice was mine, and once it was made, I would have no right to blame anyone else for the consequences. Loss of that privilege, to blame others, unexpectedly stung.

We read all day, hour after hour,
A couple hundred pages of intrigue.

I hadn’t understood it all the first time,
But now, with the help of a map I drew and
The slower pace of reading aloud and explaining,
We waded through what was said and unsaid,
And came out, in the end, quietly moved.

The first three books rely on sheer awesomeness,
With a hero who can do everything
With aplomb and foresight.
And though he orchestrates all still,

This book’s hero is one more human-scale,
Uncertain, peace-loving.

He chooses what he would not,
Hoping, in the end, for what comes to pass:

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment