Monday, January 26, 2015

Harry Potter the First

The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. … It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. … It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.

I have never read the primary
Literary cultural phenomenon
Of this (and maybe every) generation.
One down, six to go.

I mostly felt indifferent,
Beyond a Puritan sense of horror
At reading the words
Warlock and witch repeatedly.

But I did like one line.
May we all be so content
That we desire nothing else.

And yet … is that even reasonable?
“But earnestly desire the greater gifts,”
Says Paul.

I have read Book One.
I am not yet impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment