Saturday, January 17, 2015

Beyond Measure Astonished

And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak.

My friend released his album today.
There was too much love and joy then for me to weep,
But awake alone now, in the dark and quiet house,
I think about the evening and am
Beyond measure astonished.

And I cry a little because when I heard
“Mourning House,” I could see my friend
Weeping in my chair for the pain that he has held.
And I know that the same week, he wrote that song,
And that I then knew he would be okay if he could tell himself
The truth.

And I cry a little because I could watch
My friend’s family wipe their tears,
And my friend’s friends leap for joy,
And my friend’s community celebrate
The work of God in our midst.

And I think about the ways that Jesus continues to make
The deaf to hear and the dumb to speak,
And, indeed, to sing, as the night is
Swallowed up by a stronger light …
I remain beyond all measure
Astonished.

1 comment: