Saturday, August 22, 2015

We Two

When the five head out to judo practice,
Caleb and I head outside.

He attempted to shoot me with a water gun,
Grinning broadly and missing by a long shot.

We sat in the Gator, while he worked the pedals,
Pretended to press buttons, to shift.

A spider web distracted us.
Later, we watched a black and yellow argiope orb spider.

He sat on the tractor and pretended to drive,
Then climbed down and petted the cat. This, repeatedly.

He took my hand and pulled me up
So I could see the large yellow and black butterfly with him.

We picked an apple and ate it together,
Then strolled the orchard while he checked each tree’s label.

We felt the soil of the compost pile, the failed garden,
Checking the tilth. What could yet grow?

Finally, hours later, into the tub he went,
My young companion, my delightful distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment