Thursday, August 6, 2015

In the Hospital

This new hospital is like a hotel:
Great lighting, nice trim around each door,
Beautiful, bright colored art all the way down the long hall.

I was cheerful when I started this walk down the hallway,
A bit nervous to see my friend again,
Uncertain what I would find.

And suddenly I was overwhelmed
That my friends have made a similar walk
Every day for three months.

A retreat center has the feel of
Accumulated prayers and worship,
A feel of rest and God’s presence.

A hospital has the feel of
Accumulated trauma,
A feel of fear and distress.

By the end of the hallway,
I was almost in tears.
My friend wasn’t quite ready for visitors.

I had fifteen minutes to compose myself.
To read and write and re-center.
And then I went in.

No comments:

Post a Comment