Monday, November 10, 2014

Whimsy of Memory

Four siblings wrote some memories of Mom.
How different the writing styles.
How different the memories themselves.

My sister remembers the impressions,
The daily rituals and repeated events:
These are the things we always did together.

I remember random moments in astonishing detail.
I always have.

This helps me make sense of my life today. People ask me,
Does your child take two naps still?
And I feel like a bad mom, because I don’t really know.
How could I be so unobservant?

But maybe my brain simply remembers moments and details,
Like my child’s first time going down stairs,
How he faced the wall for stability and stuck a foot out and down,
Before he turned to the step and scooted down on his stomach.

And whether he is asleep on my back two times a day
Or three: I can’t see that. Sometimes he’s asleep and sometimes not.
But he is always in the carrier.
That is something we always do
Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment