Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tiffany's

On a whim, we stopped in Tiffany’s,
And the saleswoman chatted us up.

Was there anything we wanted to try?
We’re here anyway, might as well!

So we put on tanzanite and tourmaline.
And then a diamond caught my eye.

It was magnificent on my hand.
It cost as much as a house.

I wonder about the people who can buy such baubles.
Are they happier with the bling than without?

Or is it just another thing to worry about:
Insurance, theft, loss, breakage?

I think of a girl I met, given a four-carat family ring.
“My fiancé was drunk when he proposed.

But look at this rock!” She laughed. Was she happy?
I’m glad she liked the ring. I didn’t envy her.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you. I am joyed to see you are blogging while away. You don't seem so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh. A gift for me today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete