Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Two Questions

If this small string was spinning
At the speed of light,
Could it lift me off the ground?

If I could open these small scissors
Blades at the speed of light,
Would that cut off my fingers?

Isaiah, I am glad to be your mother,
And I am glad that you are curious.
But I’m not sure how to answer.
Do we assume that the cotton string
Is indestructible, and that your fingers
Could hold something moving
At 186,000 miles per second?

And why would you move your fingers
Near the blades you are opening and closing
At the speed of light?

Have we talked about how the world goes screwy
At the speed of light, that special relativity
Does not match the observable universe?

Can we just talk about something easier,
Like Schrodinger’s cat?

Or maybe just wait to solve these problems
Until you’re older. Maybe when you’re eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment