Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Messed-Up Party

On Joe’s birthday, he was ready
To blow out the candles when Phil said,
“You know, I have a lot of sin in my life.”

I looked in disbelief.
“This is Joe’s moment! It’s not about you.”

“Yes,” Phil continued. “Sometimes
I grow irate with pokey drivers on the road.
That’s not exactly loving my enemies.”

“Can we please talk about this later?”
I pleaded. “Let’s let Joe blow out his candles,
And we’ll all eat cake.”

Completely ignoring me, his melancholy
Diatribe against himself went on,
Covering sins from elementary school on,
While the candle wax pooled in the frosting
And Joe stood, neglected.

None of this actually happened.

But do we do the same thing?
We’re invited to a celebration
Of a Son, and instead focus on
Our failures, ignoring the One
Worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment