Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Growth

My understanding of God has grown recently.
I expect God speaks to all his children,
At times even giving specific instructions.
But these can be subtle.
I mistake them, and that makes me feel like a failure.
Which, I suppose, is true.

When confronted, after the fact, with a failure,
I would ask God to please not stop speaking to me,
To please keep giving guidance despite
My ears ill-tuned to his voice.
This wasn’t a casual request, but a terrified pleading:
Take not your Holy Spirit from me!

I see now that I am going to miss what God is doing sometimes.
But his purposes will go forward, if not through the door
I missed, through the back door he suddenly reveals.
And he is not waiting to remove his Spirit for my lack of attention:
Jesus says that the Comforter will abide with me forever.

How blessed to live in a new dispensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment