Friday, August 1, 2014

Shadowbox a Cow

The animals’ disregard for my schedule annoys me.
One summer I faithfully went to milk daily,
And the cow was always hiding in the thickets
And her calf had always just nursed her dry.
An hour’s unpleasant effort for no payout.

Did I mention she was cantankerous?

One scorching day, I couldn’t take another minute.
Furious, I found myself shadowboxing her,
As she stood five feet away, calming chewing her cud,
Mocking me with her emotionless eyes.
I didn’t strike her, but spent my rage on the air.
It didn’t diminish the anger, as

Then I was furious for being furious.
Add some self-condemnation to make an untenable situation
That much worse.

I needed to learn that emotions just are what they are.
No need to feel angry for being angry.
And sometimes anger is justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment