Saturday, August 23, 2014

Shifting Taste

We were talking of our favorite
Chronicles of Narnia character,
And I glibly gave my middle school stock answer,
Reepicheep, that most valiant, beloved mouse.

Further thought, though, makes me wonder if
My tastes have changed now, preferring something
Slightly more realistic.

Aravis, who bucked tradition in hope for a better life.
And found it.

Doctor Cornelius, that half-dwarf, half-human,
Who served, like Obadiah, in the court of his king,
Hoping to keep truth alive, even though
Neither dwarves nor man would claim him.

Or maybe Tirian, the last king, so noble,
So doomed, who does what he can, as long as he can,
And watches his country overrun and destroyed.
Would I have the courage and tenacity,
In the face of such dissolution, to carry on?

No comments:

Post a Comment