Thursday, June 7, 2018

The One Book I Needed


I have twenty-one boxes of organized books, 
Awaiting perusal.

I needed a specific book that I had started,
But, distracted, set aside for another time,
A biography of an athlete.

The three boxes of nonfiction titles
Yielded some unexpected help, 
But not the specific title I sought.

So I turned to my storage room, 
With shelves and boxes of random books
That go back years.

I once read a book a day,
Three hundred sixty-six days straight,
And it barely made a dent.

Where, among these hundreds
Or thousands
Of titles might I find the one I sought?

I glanced down, noticed a book I’ll need soon,
Oddly placed on the shelf. 
Moved it aside, and the four beneath,

And stared in awe at the one book I sought.
I almost cried. 
In all this mess, and the first books I touched 

Revealed it.
Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment