Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Family Dinner

Joe’s head is on the table because he’s dealing with low blood sugar.
Phil says, “Don’t give me much. I had a late lunch, and I’m not hungry.”
The meal is served.
Joe puts too much hot sauce on his (as usual) and comments (as usual), “Remind me not to put so much hot sauce on my food.” 
Caleb puts down his head and shovels food into his mouth like a pig.
Jadon reads the expiration labels on the two types of hot sauce. One has, apparently, been stockpiled in the cupboard for about four years. 
Isaiah talks with food in his mouth. 
I remind him not to.
Caleb says, “Don’t talk with food in your mouth.”
Phil pats Caleb’s head (that boy needs a haircut) and says, “You’re right, Caleb.”
Abraham pokes Caleb. 
Caleb pokes Abraham.
Phil remembers a road trip where Jadon cried and cried until I melted down and said, “I don’t care what dive hotel we stay in, but if I’m in this car another five miles, I am going to lose it!” 
“Look at how far Jadon has come,” I say.

“Look at how far you have come,” Phil says.

No comments:

Post a Comment