Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Dance

We went to a wedding.
As I stood, shortly before we left,
I watched the dance floor.

Children, by birth and grafted in.
Two of my college mentors.
The couple who mentored them.

The only couple we regularly double-dated.
Two children I babysat, now grown and married.
The couple they loved, who loved the family well.

The man who married us.
The couple who arrived first the day we miscarried.
The beautiful young wife of Phil’s first young mentor.

And I was overwhelmed with the layers
Of faithful followers who have passed on what they have received,
Overwhelmed with the surpassing joy of that moment,

Until I could hardly keep from weeping.
My heart overflowed with the love of God,
And I understood what it is to be overpowered by love.

This collection of beautiful children of God
I will see again in the coming Kingdom.
I wait in eager expectation and sure hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment