Saturday, October 24, 2015

Haircut Ruminations

Today I got a haircut. I thought, a lovely thing about getting older is seeing these hints of people that you have loved in the mirror. I thought, I am lucky to have loved my grandparents, my great aunts and uncles. I had never expected that in the sagging chin and widening cheeks I would see little bits of my grandmother, my mother, my grandpa that make me beam. A beautiful memory is a very warm and wonderful thing. It just wasn't what I was expecting to see in the crow’s feet around my eyes.

The last few haircuts I have had,
I rail silently against the paleness and aging of my face
Under the harsh lights.

I don’t usually think much about how I look,
But sitting with plastered-down hair, immovable …
I am distressed by my appearance.

Behold, how great the contrast between my petty thoughts
And the beautiful meditation of my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment