Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Brilliant Marketing

We have an Audible account
Because the boys are in the car
Three hours a week.
They’ll get through the entire
Lord of the Rings trilogy
In a few months.

Phil realized the opportunity then:
He could listen to a book while he worked!
He is outside, alone, a lot,
Moving cows, working in the barn, mowing.
I find it hard to get his attention now around the house:
Earbuds in all the time, listening.

But none of this affected me.
If I’m in the car alone, I pray or praise.
If I’m in the house doing dishes, I decompress.
I don’t voluntarily fill my mental space with noise.

And then …

Audible ran a sale: five bucks a book.
Most of their options were ridiculous,
But I scanned the titles anyway, curious.
Cry, the Beloved Country,
One of my all time favorites …
I could listen to that during dishes, and be happy.

And then …

Mansfield Park.
I have read this before,
But remember none of it, so my beautiful volume
Sits in storage, untouched,
Waiting for a day of more free time.

This I listen to during dishes,
Rejoicing in the beautiful language,
The interesting plot in miniature,
The newness and unexpectedness.

This objectively makes my life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment