Saturday, February 7, 2015

Thankful for a Red Light

I woke in an adrenaline rush this morning.
In my dream, Phil and I had been driving to a wedding, running late.
We barely made it through one light as it turned yellow.
And the next light had turned fully red,
But Phil, who hates to be late, took a chance.
He skittered through, past three lanes of traffic who legally could go,
Who all had seen us coming and waited.

Safe on the far side, with nothing but open road
And a shot of adrenaline, I turned in fury.
What if one person had been looking away from us?
We would have been dead! Or at least really late!


And then I woke and simply considered.
I am not patient, but I would have preferred then to stop than to go.
Is there a way that I am rushing something?
Because if so, far better to be a minute late
Than dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment