Thursday, July 12, 2018

My Body Went Sideways

In January, I detoxed
For more than three weeks.
Lost four pounds.
Felt absolutely exhausted.
Made no difference to my skin.

In the last six months, I’ve gained back
The four pounds, and gradually,
Inexorably, gained four more. 
Or maybe five.
My hair has been falling out, too.

I exercise, 
Fast fourteen hours most days.
Eat more vegetables than I have in years.
This was not what I would have expected.
Could it be perimenopause before 40?

A lecturer mentioned that my symptoms,
Plus full breasts (oh, I have that, too)
Shows signs of estrogen dominance.
But I eat almost no soy, sesame, flax.
And I take no hormonal supplements.

Ah—but I started using essential oils,
Filled with phytoestogrens, 
In late December. Rolling them on daily
Under my arms with no thought of harm.
I thought they were healthy.

So I will stop, and see what happens.
I suspect this is the missing link. 
Bring down the estrogen,
Bring up the testosterone. 

See if that brings back the Amy of some months back.

No comments:

Post a Comment