Sunday, June 14, 2015

Marbles

As evening fell, I summoned the boys
For a drawing lesson.
Abraham, my artist, said he needed more time.
He was in the middle of something.

In a few minutes, he brought me a paper box,
Painstakingly cut out, folded, taped,
With a rubber band precariously
Holding the lid in place while threatening
To bisect the whole thing.

Inside, I found a cutout heart,
Colored red with pencil, with the words,
“I love you.”
And five marbles of varying size and shape.

Though I have always liked round things,
The marbles mystified me.
“I didn’t think you’d like me to take your chocolates,
And I didn’t know where to get jewels,
So I got you marbles instead.”

He had searched through his private box of treasures
And approximated as best he could.
Sweet son, I thank you.
Now let’s create, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment