Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Eggplant

Last week I read about listening prayer
In a group setting.

We had a group assembled,
So we tried it.

One person saw
An eggplant.

We all laughed about that,
A random purple fruit
That sends Phil into
Anaphylactic shock.

Not until this morning
Did I remember
That I should have asked
How my friend felt.

Because if the feeling was good,
That would be indicative of good.

And then I remembered
A tidbit from reading years ago.

Eggplant is not a simple crop.
It requires more effort than most.
It requires more nurture and care.

So an eggplant becomes
A symbol of first fruits,
Of something not quite usual,
But beautiful.

An eggplant could be
A symbol of the church in our home,

Or even the attempt to listen
And the risk in sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment